Saturday, May 1, 2010

Hamburger Help-Please! and a little recognition.

Tonight is Hamburger Helper night. Luckily I was fortunate enough to find 2 things that Emily loves, Hamburgers and Cheese, all in one handy box.

I have a question for all you mom's out there: Why is it so easy to be a mom when dad's aren't home? Of course I don't mean this literally, but more mentally. This is the first time since Aaron and I have been married that he has left me for more than one day. I know....it sounds pretty pathetic but what can I say? We love eachother. And for some reason I have found it miraculously easy to get all of my house-wife duties done and take care of Emily AND do all the things that he is usually responsible for (i.e. cook [because God has blessed with with a husband that enjoys doing so], mowing the lawn, cleaning up outside, doing basic yard work, fixing some holes in the wall, painting) without him home. I did ,however, find out that I need to take a basic woodshop course. When presented with a fence with a hole in it, I found myself starring longingly at it trying to figure out what tools in Aaron's shed could possibly help me solve this problem. I eventually gave up. I also decided that either single mother's are Superwomen (and I know a few where is very plausible) or they have a really nice neighbor of the opposite sex who comes over and does the "man work".

So why has it been easier? Is it because when he's here I subconsciously rely on him to do things for me, so I don't just do them myself, but then complain when they aren't done? Is it possible that the time that we spend together or in front of the TV is somehow hindering my will to do other things? Or is that now, because he's gone, I have the mindset that it's either do it or die (literally...dinner for instance) I'm not sure what the answer is, but I do know this: I have impressed myself and shown myself what I am capable of this weekend. Maybe instead of griping at my husband to do things, I should just take matters into my own hands and do them myself, thus leading by example and showing him how much I love him by doing things for him. Maybe in return he will do the same for me. I might have actually solved something here! However I know that being humble and quiet is going to be key, but then again we all know how humility works in a marriage... and if you know me, well, being "quiet" isn't really my thing. God help me!

I'm going to put this theory to the test and see what happens. I know it's going to be difficult to change a 4 year habit, but we shall see. I'm going to leave you with a great video that a friend of a friend posted on her facebook. Goodnight all! My husband comes home tomorrow!! Pray for me and maybe (if you believe in it) toss a little luck my way too!



No comments: